The SMILE Food Pantry offers a wide variety of foods that can help you supplement your groceries each week. To obtain food, you must be a registered SMILE client. Registration is FREE but must be renewed every 6 months. Visit the SMILE Thrift Store to register or get more information.
Registered SMILE clients can pick up a grocery bag of canned and packaged foods once a week by bringing their SMILE card to the Food Pantry. Depending on availability, we also offer meat, cereal, and bread. Fresh vegetables may be offered during the summer months when we receive donations from local community gardens or other sources.
Clients usually receive the items below, but quantities are limited.
- a bag of groceries that has been packed according to family size. The food provided depends on the availability of specific items. Clients usually receive canned vegetables, tomato products, soups, beans, pasta, tuna fish, macaroni and cheese, and other items as available.
- a cold or hot cereal
- a loaf of white bread
- a frozen meat (approx. ½ lb per person in family) or other frozen entree
- a dessert or sweet (if available, based on generous donations from Weis Markets)
FOOD PANTRY HOURS
Monday: 9 to 10 am
Wednesday: 10 am to 2 pm
Saturday: 9 am to 12 noon
HOW TO BECOME A SMILE CLIENT
A SMILE ID card must be presented to receive any SMILE services, including the Food Pantry, Thrift Store, and Emergency Services.
To obtain a SMILE card, you must register at the SMILE Thrift Store during its normal hours of operation:
Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 10 am to 2 pm
Saturdays: 9 am to 12 noon
You may register for yourself and/or for a family member. When you arrive at the Thrift Store, please tell the receptionist at the front desk that you want to register for services.
What You Need to Bring to Register for SMILE services
The following information will be required at the time of registration:
- Description or explanation of need
- Proof of residency in SMILE's service area (zip codes: 20615, 20629, 20657, 20676, 20685, and 20688). Please be prepared to show one of the following that shows your address: a copy of a mortgage bill, lease agreement, SMECO or Comcast bill, etc.
- Proof of Identification (Driver's license or other State ID)
Once registered, you will receive a SMILE ID card which is valid for 6 months. Registrations must be updated and renewed at least every 6 months. This card must be presented whenever you want to receive SMILE services at the Food Pantry, Thrift Store, or to request Emergency Services.
DONATIONS ACCEPTED: Non-perishable food items or monetary donations are gratefully accepted during the following hours of operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:00 am to 1:15 pm
Saturday: 8:00 to 11:15 am